As a Veterinary Technician with Humane Ohio you will know you have made a difference in the lives of animals and their caregivers each and every day. The workday begins at 7:30am and typically ends by 6:00pm. The clinic is currently open Monday-Friday, but weekend hours are available on occasion. No evening hours or holidays will be required, helping you maintain a healthy work-life balance. Part-time and full-time opportunities are currently available. Our technicians work hard and non-stop, but you won’t need to go to the gym after work!
Veterinary Technicians are responsible for daily care of all surgical patients, assisting doctors and veterinary assistants with pre-, peri- and post-operative care of patients, general cleaning, and training others to utilize our patient care protocols.
Major Duties and Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Provide in-person and telephone client service and answer questions.
- Actively promote spay and neuter, and educate clients on responsible animal ownership.
- Actively support associate staff and volunteers; promote the development of skills related to the advancement of our goals and mission.
- Check in patients and communicate directly with clients.
- Represent Humane Ohio in a professional and courteous manner at all times. Provide quality service to clients, volunteers, and staff, recognizing their individual contributions to the success of our organization.
- Maintain medical inventory and supplies.
- Triage all patients as they are checked in. Report health concerns to attending veterinarian.
- Provide excellent patient care.
- Prepare animals for surgery. Efficiently pre-medicate, induce, and intubate patients as necessary.
- Assist veterinarians in the OR as needed and monitor patients in recovery.
- Calculate and administer anesthesia to all surgical patients per anesthetic protocol.
- Maintain all necessary drug logs and patient records.
- Handle and track controlled substances for large volumes of surgical patients.
- Able to monitor anesthesia, with a clear idea of abnormal conditions.
- Ensure prompt and accurate paperwork procedures are followed each day.
- Follow all written and verbally communicated departmental standard operating procedures.
- Communicate with clients and assist with rechecks as needed.
- Knowledge and ability to intake and release patients, including delivering post-operative instructions in a competent and friendly manner.
- Train veterinary assistants, new staff members, and trainees to utilize our patient care protocols.
- Effectively “team lead,” displaying a positive attitude and acting as a motivating force for all staff members.
- Stay current in knowledge of emergency drugs and protocol.
- Administer animal vaccinations, tests, medications and treatments as directed.
- Sonicate and sterilize instruments for surgery and do laundry.
- Provide proper disease control measures in the clinic.
Requires an Associates degree
Key Qualifications and Characteristics:
Candidates must have and maintain an Ohio Registered Veterinary Technician certification.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Attributes:
- Must be able to learn basic veterinary medical concepts including but not limited to vaccine protocols and anesthetic risks.
- Must also be able to communicate basic veterinary concepts to owners and be able to repeat information relayed by a veterinarian.
- Must be able to communicate with the public on a daily basis in a professional manner.
- Must be able to lift and carry over 50 pounds repeatedly throughout the day with help.
- Must be able to bend and kneel repeatedly.
- Must be able to use appropriate safety equipment for fractious or feral animals – the use of safety equipment is mandatory.
- Must be proficient at animal restraint for various procedures.
- Must be able to learn characteristics of animal behavior (for example: be able to identify aggressive or fearful behavior).
- Must be able to respond quickly to a variety of medical situations (with training).
- Must be able to cope with death either due to surgical complication or euthanasia.
Desired Personal Traits:
- Ability to rapidly and accurately process information and make decisions.
- Ability to recognize a need for assistance and ask for help.
- Ability to cope with frustrating situations and remain calm.